Creating a tranquil and captivating outdoor space is a dream many homeowners share. One essential element that can instantly elevate your outdoor oasis is a large fountain from the Soothing Company. The soothing sound of flowing water, combined with the visual appeal of a well-designed fountain, can transform any outdoor area into a serene haven. In this guide, we’ll explore the key aspects of selecting the perfect large fountain to enhance your outdoor space.
Benefits of a Large Fountain
Before delving into the selection process, let’s highlight the benefits of adding a large fountain to your outdoor oasis:
- Visual Focal Point: A large fountain serves as a striking centerpiece, drawing attention and creating a focal point that enhances the overall aesthetics of your outdoor space.
- Soothing Ambiance: The sound of trickling water is inherently calming. Incorporating a large fountain introduces a soothing auditory element that can mask background noise and provide a peaceful atmosphere.
- Wildlife Attraction: Fountains can attract local wildlife, such as birds and butterflies, adding a touch of nature’s beauty to your environment.
- Temperature Regulation: The evaporation process of the fountain can help cool the surrounding area, making it a comfortable retreat during hot weather.
- Increased Property Value: A well-designed large fountain can significantly enhance your property’s curb appeal and market value, making it a worthwhile investment.
Considerations Before Selection
Before diving into the world of large fountains, consider these important factors to guide your decision:
- Available Space: Assess the size and layout of your outdoor area. A large fountain should complement the space without overwhelming it. Measure the available area to determine the appropriate dimensions for your fountain.
- Style and Theme: Define the style and theme of your outdoor oasis. Whether your space is traditional, contemporary, or rustic, choose a fountain that aligns with your overall design vision.
- Material Matters: Fountains come in various materials like concrete, stone, metal, and resin. Each material has its unique aesthetic and maintenance requirements. Consider the climate of your region and the effort you’re willing to invest in maintenance.
- Installation and Maintenance: While the initial installation is important, ongoing maintenance is equally crucial. Opt for a fountain that’s relatively easy to install and maintain to ensure long-term enjoyment.
Types of Large Fountains
There’s a wide range of large fountain styles to choose from, each offering a distinct visual appeal. Let’s explore a few popular types:
- Tiered Fountains: These fountains feature multiple tiers that water cascades down, creating an elegant and timeless look. Tiered fountains work well in both classic and modern settings.
- Wall Fountains: Perfect for smaller spaces, wall fountains are mounted on vertical surfaces. They offer a sleek and space-saving option while still providing the calming effects of flowing water.
- Statue Fountains: Incorporate art into your outdoor oasis with a statue fountain. These fountains showcase sculptures that double as water sources, adding a touch of sophistication to your space.
- Pond Fountains: If you have a larger outdoor area, consider a pond fountain. These fountains are set in ponds or large water bodies, creating a dramatic and mesmerizing effect.
Choosing the Right Fountain Size
Selecting the right size for your large fountain is crucial for achieving the desired visual impact. Follow these steps to determine the appropriate dimensions:
- Measure the Space: Use a tape measure to determine the width and height available for your fountain. Keep in mind that the fountain’s size should be proportional to the space.
- Consider Proportions: A good rule of thumb is that the height of the fountain should be about one-third to half the height of surrounding plants, structures, or features.
- Avoid Overcrowding: While a large fountain can be impressive, be cautious not to overcrowd the space. Allow enough room for people to move around comfortably.
Material Selection and Durability
The choice of material for your large fountain affects both its appearance and longevity. Here are some common materials to consider:
- Concrete: Concrete fountains are durable and can be molded into various shapes and sizes. They are suitable for all climates but may require sealing to prevent staining.
- Stone: Natural stone fountains exude elegance and charm. They can withstand different weather conditions and develop a unique patina over time.
- Metal: Metal fountains, such as those made from copper or stainless steel, offer a contemporary look. They are resistant to rust and can add a modern flair to your outdoor space.
- Resin: Resin fountains mimic the appearance of stone or concrete but are lighter in weight. They are easy to move and install, making them a practical choice.
Installation and Maintenance
Proper installation and maintenance ensure the longevity and functionality of your large fountain. Here’s what to consider:
- Installation: Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for installation. If the fountain requires electrical connections, consider hiring a professional for safe wiring.
- Water Source: Ensure easy access to a water source for filling and refilling the fountain. Some fountains are designed to recycle water, while others need a constant water supply.
- Cleaning Routine: Regularly clean the fountain to prevent algae growth and mineral buildup. Use a mild cleaner and a soft brush to clean the surfaces, and consider using a water treatment additive.
- Winter Care: If you live in a cold climate, winterize your fountain before freezing temperatures arrive. Drain the water and cover the fountain to protect it from ice damage.
Large fountains come in a wide price range, depending on factors like size, material, and design intricacy. Determine your budget early in the selection process to narrow down your options.
- Initial Investment: Remember that the upfront cost includes not only the fountain but also any necessary accessories, installation, and potentially, professional help.
- Long-Term Costs: Consider ongoing maintenance costs, including water and electricity usage, cleaning supplies, and any replacement parts that might be needed.
Seeking Inspiration and Professional Advice
If you’re unsure about the style, size, or design of your large fountain, don’t hesitate to seek inspiration from magazines, online platforms, or even nearby gardens. Additionally, consulting with a landscaping professional can provide valuable insights tailored to your specific outdoor space.
Enhancing your outdoor oasis with a large fountain can truly transform your living space into a serene and visually captivating haven. By considering factors such as available space, style, material, and maintenance requirements, you can confidently select the perfect fountain that aligns with your design vision and enhances your outdoor experience. Remember that a well-chosen and properly maintained fountain will not only add beauty to your space but also provide a sense of tranquility and relaxation for years to come.