When you are away from your home country, living in another land, it is easy to be nervous or scared when injustice happens to you. After all, it is not your country, and you are worried if the government will help you or deport you back to your country. Things can become even more complicated when you are a woman and are already living with an abusive family member. 

VAWA, or The Violence Against Women Act, is a special act that allows the spouse or child of an abusive person to apply for a green card by self-petition without needing assistance from the said abusive person. Moreover, even though the name has the term “women” in it, both men and women can apply. To know more, visit this website

What is the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA)?

The Violence Against Women Act, or VAWA, is an act passed by the US government for the protection of victims of crimes like sexual assault, stalking, dating violence, domestic violence, etc. VAWA also advocates for gender-based crimes. 

VAWA offers the following protections: 

  • Rape victims won’t have to pay for their medical exams at rape crisis centers. 
  • It ensures that all parts of the country, including every state, acknowledge the protections. 
  • The degree and severity of punishment increases for repeat offenders. 
  • The act prevents the offenders from using the victim’s past sexual history against them in court. 
  • Assistance is given to communities dedicated to handling domestic violence victim cases. The goal is to improve the system’s effectiveness. 
  • They make sure the police are always responsive to victims. 
  • Giving funds to train over 500,000 judges, prosecutors, law enforcement officers, and other members of the justice system. 
  • Special focus is given to indigenous women, such as Native American or American Indian tribal. 

Who can apply for VAWA?

VAWA is available to apply for any immigrant person who is married to a US citizen or a permanent resident facing domestic violence. You are also eligible to apply if you were previously married to one and have been divorced for less than two years. 

If you are concerned about whether you are eligible to apply for VAWA, you are not alone. While some believe they do not have a chance, others are afraid their abusive partner may retaliate if they find out. However, it is important to take a step towards justice, even if you are scared. 

The requirement process for VAWA can indeed be a bit complex. However, it is nothing that an attorney cannot help you with. Consult with one today. 

Alex is a pet freelance writer and editor with more than 10 years of experience. He attended Colorado State University, where he earned a Bachelor’s degree in Biology, which was where he first got some experience in animal nutrition. After graduating from University, Alex began sharing his knowledge as a freelance writer specializing in pets.

Comments are closed.